I am a sucker for a good Philly cheese steak sandwich and this was beyond my expectations and so full of flavor. It was super easy and done in 30 minutes!! My boys loved them too! Also, this lean ground turkey breast is awesome it has much less fat then lean ground turkey so it makes it easier to add more cheese… and who doesn’t love more cheese!
Turkey Cheese Steak Sloppy Joes
Macros for just 1/2 cup of turkey cheese steak mixture: Carbs: 2.6g Protein: 15g Fat: 4.2g
Macros with 1/2 cup of mixture on sandwich thin: Carbs: 24.6g Protein:20g Fat: 5.2g
Yields 5 cups, Serving size 1/2 cup
- 1 pound lean ground turkey breast
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 8 ounces brown mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup beef broth (I used I cup water with 1 beef bullion cube)
- 9 slices Provolone Cheese ( F 5 C 1 P 5)
- sandwich thins
- Add the ground turkey to a med/large sized pan on the stove and cook until done. apart.
- Remove the turkey from pan, spray pan with non-stick cooking spray and add the the onions, bell peppers and mushrooms. I sprayed cooking spray as they cooked as needed.
- Let brown for 1-2 minutes before stirring, then let brown for another 1-2 minutes before stirring again.
- Add the turkey back into the pan.
- In a small cup mix the beef broth and cornstarch together
- Add the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, salt, black pepper, beef broth/cornstarch mixture into the pan.
- Cook until the mixture is only slightly liquidy (about 75% of the mixture is above liquid), 3-5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, add in chopped cheese.
- Served on toasted sandwich thins.
If you are on our 12 Week Get Fit Plan message me if you need help adjusting the macros to fit your plan.